20.3.14

You're Never Alone When Traveling Solo

20.3.14 Posted by Nikki Carlson , , , , 2 comments
I have backpacked alone before.  My first experience was a few days in Prague, Czech Republic and then in Kiev, Ukraine back in 2011, but I was only "on my own" for a few days before meeting up with friends.   I also studied in Buenos Aires, Argentina "alone", but with university classes and a host family I do not consider that leap of faith very extreme.

This March was my first "solo" trip that I had planned, or at least roughly sketched out during a break between classes one balmy afternoon in Chiang Mai last February.  Armed with the knowledge from an amazing new friend in Chiang Mai who had spent time in Cambodia, as well as the quick tips offered by a professor who had visited previously, I decided the month of my 26th birthday would be spent in Cambodia.  This would be my first trip "alone".

My Cambodian Map for the Journey
As I stared at my black and white print out of the country from the university library, I grabbed a pen and started writing Temple names, useful phrases, currency exchange rates and circling the major cities that I hoped to visit.

Ta Phrom Temple in Siem Reap
Although that one sheet of paper gave me the confidence necessary to leave my new Chiang Mai University family at the end of the month, I found that I didn't rely on it while traveling.  I again relied on the suggestions from new friends, bunk mates, and locals to make my itineraries, which usually changed as the day went on - always for the best.

Night Out at Angkor What? in Siem Reap
Whether it be on the side of the road while our bus driver decided to stop for a smoke break, or at a new hostel Happy Hour, I have met so many travelers that I cant say that I've been alone at any point yet.  

Fresh Crocodile at our First Cambodian BBQ
Traveling with little more than my backpack and open mind has allowed me to visit places that are definitely off the beaten track.

By taking small leaps of faith and being comfortable to explore new cities "alone" I have bumped into more like-minded travelers than I had ever expected.


Now - about 21 days, 8 boat rides, one attempted half marathon, 7 bus rides, one fake border, 3 islands, one Full Moon Party, at least 10 tuk tuks, a crocodile BBQ, 5 motorbike rides, 4 hostels, one treehouse, many new friends, and countless amazing memories later I can confidently say that those recommendations and tips, along with the advice and tidbits from fellow travelers has been spot on - Cambodia has been great!

Sunset in Paradise in Koh Ta Kiev

2 comments:

  1. When are you going to define the 'tuk tuk'???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my new post below. I included a little bit about them! http://followthetravelingginger.blogspot.com/2014/02/around-chiang-mai.html

      Delete