3.3.14

Welcome to Cambodia

3.3.14 Posted by Nikki Carlson , , No comments

After deciding that Cambodia would be my first adventure within the region, I packed my backpack and jumped on a bus to begin my adventure. 

Initially, I had intended to travel throughout Cambodia and Vietnam during March, but as the days progressed I realized that it was an absurd idea, especially since I intended to savor my time on the road. 

I took a bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, then another bus from there to Poipet (see below), which is a small town on the border of Thailand and Cambodia.  The bus ride was quite animated and, for those of you who have traveled on a bus in South East Asia, witnessed a range of emotions from this traveling ginger.  Between the absurd number of passengers getting on and off, the irrational and all-too-frequent smoke breaks taken by the driver, the blaring Bollywood-esque film, the nonexistent air flow, and the (obviously expected) breakdown of the bus, I was not feeling very confident about my upcoming travels.  

The 28-hour adventure was speckled with moments of self doubt, but I decided to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation instead of calling it quits after one day.  Before long, I had become friends with a Brit and two American passengers who also found themselves in similar mental states of delirious entertainment at the constant cultural confusion and general disorganization of the situation.   


After a few more hours of chatting with my compadres, we arrived at the border in Poipet.  After an interesting immigration experience involving a fake border, a marital proposition and paying the visa fee, as well as the expected bribe to the officers, I was finally in Cambodia! 

After my overwhelming experience there, I decided to see what other travelers thought of it.  Now usually I am not the biggest Lonely Planet fan, but I felt inclined to share their description of the place as "the armpit of Cambodia, notorious for its squalor, scams and sleaze" because it described my experience exactly.  If you're interested, I also found a pretty accurate YouTube video of the border crossing.  Although it's a few years old, it shows an accurate picture of what I saw, which was quite a mix of "old world" and "new world" Cambodia.

When I arrived in Siem Reap on Saturday evening, I was beyond thrilled to enjoy a cold beer at the hostel bar before heading for bed. Thank God and Buddha I made it in one piece!

Preah Promreath Pagoda in Siem Reap, Cambodia

0 comments:

Post a Comment