30.9.14

North Africa to the Balkans by Way of Spain

30.9.14 Posted by Nikki Carlson , , , , , , No comments
Exploring Valencia, Spain
My first international trip ever was to Spain a few days after I turned 15.  It was a trip with my high school, and my older brother and good friend Margaret were among the other participants.  During our brief trip there, I remember being in complete awe of everything that we saw and did. 
Old city gate & walls in Valencia, Spain
Everything is so old!  How is this food so delicious?!  Why is everyone always smoking?! (Don’t they know how bad that is for them?!)  Why can’t we walk everywhere at home like we can here?!  OMG - everything is in Spanish!  Does anyone else know this place exists?  We have to tell them when we get home!
Traditional Valencian experience: horchata (drink) & farton (pastry) for breakfast
I walked away with a great experience, a few questions answered (though I’m not confident that all of the EU nations got the memo on the health hazards of smoking), more than a few amazing memories, and a newfound passion for traveling and exploring new cultures.
Cathedral of Valencia - do you notice the Star of David above the door? The Jewish community helped finance this church.
This past September, I booked a flight from Madrid (much cheaper than flying from my current location in Morocco) to meet my cousin and aunt in Dubrovnik for a Croatian holiday at the beginning of October.  
Mercado de San Miguel in Madrid
I decided to spend a few days leisurely exploring southern and coastal Spain before leaving for Croatia from Madrid.  Luckily, I was able to explore cities I had not previously visited, as well as to rediscover Madrid.  
Mercado Central in Valencia 
I arrived in Tarifa by ferry and made my way to Granada, only to find that all of the hostels were filled for the weekend.  That same night (or following morning to be exact) I made my way to the Red Nest Hostel in Valencia where I spent the following few nights.  
Afternoon at the Real Jardin Botanico in Madrid
One of my closest friends from high school studied in Valencia during university and was quick to offer a handful of great suggestions – mostly centered around food and drink, which everyone knows are always the best suggestions!  Together with new hostel friends I explored the Mercado Central, Horchatería El Siglo, and Horno de San Nicolás tasting and drinking our way through the city. 
Mercado Central in Valencia
After Valencia, I returned to Granada on the night bus intending to visit Alhambra, but due to some less than ideal weather conditions I enjoyed spending time at Fundalucia Guesthouse in Quentar instead.  There I met a handful of wonderful people and began working on my travel blog, The Globetrotting Ginger.  I hope that in the upcoming months I develop it into a substantial travel resource for friends, family, or anyone interested in backpacking.  After Quéntar, I made my way to my final Spanish destination, Madrid.
Cutting Jamon Iberico de Bellota in Mercado de San Miguel in Madrid
One afternoon while I was walking through Madrid, I was suddenly jolted back to my first time in the city while walking past a certain federal banking building.  The building is a normal bank with two massive lions on either side of the front steps.  I remember Margaret and I insisting on taking pictures with the lions outside of the front doors of the building.  In that moment, I was completely pulled back to my first experience here and found myself laughing at our 15 year old selves – if only we had the selfie-sticks of today to assist in capturing our photo shoot a decade ago!
Madrid, as expected, was wonderful.  The city never sleeps and has some of the greatest museums, parks and restaurants that one could ask for.  My favorite spot during this past trip was the beautifully landscaped and ever lively Parque de Retiro.  With the large pond filled with paddle boats, Palacio de Cristal, and Velazquez Palace, and perfectly manicured gardens and lawns, it’s easy to get lost in this wonderful city park.  
Bird Whisperer in Parque de Retiro in Madrid
Naturally, we became friends and he gave me some rice to feed his bird friends.
Another highlight of my time in Madrid was our luck at getting one of the highly sought after same-day reservations at Restaurante Botin, which the Guiness Book of Records recognizes as the oldest restaurant in the world.  
Outside of Restaurante Botin in Madrid
Knowing my passion for food, I could not pass the opportunity to taste their world famous cochinillo asado, even if it required waiting until 10:30 PM for the reservation.  Although we could barely afford to breath in the restaurant, we enjoyed the ambience and had to hold ourselves back from devouring every bit of the delicious food!
I also thoroughly enjoyed a visit to the Reina Sofia Art Museum and see Picasso's famous Guernica on my last afternoon in the city.  It was quite a treat for me after studying Spanish history during high school and university. 
Carlos III statue in Real Parque Botanico in Madrid
Not surprisingly, I fell in love with Spain all over again during my time there.  The amazing food, relaxed culture, beautiful parks, interesting museums, endless cafes and unique shops could keep me entertained forever. 
I don't think so? This street art message was sprayed all over Valencia.
Traveling to new places is always exciting for me, but revisiting old ones offers an unique, introspective experience.  I had not planned to visit Spain during my travels, let alone spend so much time there.  I had not previously visited Granada, Quéntar, Valencia nor spent so much time in Madrid, and I was glad to be afforded the opportunity to do so.  
I was also overjoyed to learn that my love for this incredible country has not wavered since my first visit all those years ago!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment