20.9.14

Morocco Part III: Chefchaouen

Riad balcony overlooking Chefchaouen at Riad Joe Baraka
Many weeks ago while I was initially planning my time in Morocco, I came across a fantastic travel blog called Legal Nomads.  Jodi's fabulous blog, pictures, and stories captured the spirit of Morocco, and Chefchaouen (or Chaouen) in particular, and after reading her article I knew 'The Blue City' was going to be at the top of my list during my time in Morocco.    
Street markets in Chefchaouen
During our trip into the Sahara, Michael and I met an incredible Vietnamese traveler named Anh who (like a responsible traveler) had her hostel arrangements sorted out for Fes and Chefchaouen, her destinations after our trip to Merzouga. 
Tall. Green. Plants.
 Although we knew we wanted to visit each of the cities, Michael and I had (like irresponsible travelers) not arranged anything, which always leaves room for the unexpected shenanigans that we  have so often experienced.  Anh was excited to have two new travel buddies and after briefly regrouping in Marrakech, we set off.
The quaint, peaceful streets of Chefchaouen
Luckily for us, when we arrived in Chefchaouen there was a surprise waiting for us.  Not only was there a room available for us at the same hostel, but Anh had reserved a room at the most incredible hostel I have ever stayed in, Riad Baraka.  (Seriously, book in advance.  That's serious advice coming from someone who doesn't reserve anything more than a day in advance!)
Great day at Cascades d'Akchour
The hostel is run by a hilarious British woman named Ann and is incredibly cozy, clean, well located, and (most importantly in a Muslim country) full of beer.  Or at least it was until we arrived.  Michael and I had died and gone to heaven.  Praise Allah.
On our way to the waterfall
We quickly checked in and went to explore the rest of the Medina and see what Chefchaouen had to offer us.

That was eight days ago.  
In that time I have shopped in the artisan markets, explored the Plaza Uta el-Hammam, sampled street figs and karmouss el hindi, basked in the glory of a traditional Moroccan hammam, attempted to transform into a Moroccan princess, hiked to the Cascades d'Akchour, visited a nearby farm and assisted in making traditional Moroccan hash, met new friends and have had countless genuine and reflective discussions while soaking up the atmosphere and fresh mountain air.  
Traditional Moroccan soaps for the hammam
To sum it up: my time in Chefchaouen has been perfect.  I can not convey the fun, laughter, relaxation, joy, cultural inundation, bliss and simple happiness that I have experienced in this wonderful town over the past week.  
View from the Spanish Mosque
The landscape is beautiful, the people are friendly and inviting, the food is (like all of Morocco) delicious, and the overall attitude is peaceful.
Princess Day for Maria and me - the henna was fun, but a fail!
I was blissfully unaware of how deeply I would fall in love with this city and the people I have met, and now I am instead simply blissful.  The thought of leaving tomorrow is breaking my heart, but I know that I will be back here one day...hopefully soon!
A small hair piece I received

0 comments:

Post a Comment