26.10.14

The Continuously Underrated Zagreb

26.10.14 Posted by Nikki Carlson , , , No comments
Saint Mark's Square, Zagreb
When I am traveling, I strongly consider opinions and advice from friends and fellow travelers while I am on the road to assist me in developing my plans for the upcoming hours, day, and weeks, especially if I am in a new city or country.  Their advice and opinions will usually trump any online reviews or suggestions I've come across, and this happens almost immediately upon forming a new relationship.  I can honestly say that the majority of the time I don't regret following these suggestions.
Botanical Garden in Zagreb
When I asked people at my hostel in Zadar what they thought about Zagreb, they immediately told me "skip it."  In fact, every single traveler I met in Croatia recommended that I skip Zagreb.
Ancient Glagolitic script & beautiful statues inside the Cathedral 
When I left Zadar for Sarajevo via Split, I felt that I made a good choice (especially when I bumped into Alex) and never thought I would return to revisit this Croatian city that had "nothing to offer".  Together Alex and I made our way to Slovenia by way of Zagreb.  While passing through the city in the early morning hours we congratulated ourselves that we didn't have to waste more than ten minutes in such an undesirable city.
Virgin Mary statue in Kaptol Square
After spending time in Bled and Ljubljana, our options were limited for cities in the Balkan region that had gone unexplored by both of us.  Zagreb was a last resort, so we somewhat reluctantly packed our bags and decided to give it a go.  

As soon as we arrived, we were taken aback.  The city seemed clean and safe (not surprising in wonderful Croatia), and not only did it seem like a normal European city, but it also seemed to have much to offer - lots of history, culture, and nightlife.  What's not to love?

On our way to our hostel from the tram stop, we passed endless bars and cafes filled to the brim an array of fashionably clad young and middle aged professionals.  We felt underdressed and confused.  Why did everyone hate on Zagreb so much?
Tourist Directory: literally, there too many things to do in Zagreb
Over the next few days we explored the majority of the city.  A few of my favorite experiences were visiting the gorgeous Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Kaptol Square, walking through St. Mark's Square at dusk when the lamplighters were going about their daily duty, checking out the bizarre Museum of Broken Relationships, strolling along the Strossmayer Promenade while enjoying freshly roasted chestnuts, spending an evening exploring Joan Mirรณ's exhibit at the Art Pavilion, and (no surprise here) walking through the city's Botanical Garden
Beautiful architecture of The Croatian State Archives
The city's architecture and many statues make each block interesting and unique, and it seemed hard to find ourselves without an interesting activity to do or a new part of town to explore.
Kaptol Square & the towering Cathedral - gorgeous even while under construction
With the perfection of Hvar, the stunning landscapes of Plitvice, and the rich history of Dubrovnik, I can see how Zagreb does not find its way to the very top of every Croatian tourist's To Do List, but after visiting I would also have trouble telling someone to skip it altogether.  Overall, I am glad that we went against the advice of so many travelers and checked Zagreb out for ourselves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment