10.5.14

We "Run BKK"...Sorta

Last Wednesday, April 30, I woke up at 4:00 AM and headed for the train station in Chiang Mai fully prepared to start the next chapter of my journey.  I was sad to say goodbye to Lolly for the third time, but I was beyond excited for her and her new apartment that we had moved her into the day before. 

Although I rode on a train in Ukraine a few years ago, I had never spent an entire day, or 15 hours to be exact, riding on one.  My destination was Bangkok to meet my cousin, Caroline, who was landing at 11:45 PM that night by way of Japan. 
 The train ride was uneventful with the exception of one unanticipated stop on the way.  For South East Asian transportation, this was miraculous.  I spent most of the morning reading, and when the batteries of my electronic reader were exhausted, I busied myself with staring out the window and trying to make new friends.  Given that there were only a handful of Thais scattered throughout my train car, staring out the window became the preferred activity of choice.  

The views were quite impressive, and I got to see parts of the countryside that most night buses do not afford their riders.  If you have 15 hours and find yourself in Chiang Mai trying to get to Bangkok for next to nothing, I would actually recommend the train - check out Seat 61's amazing guide to transportation and pricing options. If you have $65, and you don’t want to sweat on a train and stare out of the window, then you can take the 1.5 hour flight…whatever works.

            When we arrived at the Don Mueng airport in Bangkok at 9 PM, I used a little bit of the street smarts that I have acquired in Thailand along with a pinch of luck, and got myself on the exclusive tram that runs between the two international airports.  This free mode of transportation being reserved for paying passengers only, a rule that was enforced by a very strict, yet equally as disgruntled Thai guard, I felt quite proud of my sneaky accomplishment AKA creating a fake reservation.
          Around 11:30 PM I arrived at the proper airport and waited for Caroline to walk out from behind the international arrivals partition.  After holding my breath while watching hundreds of Chinese tourists with guides holding colored flags, countless backpackers, and more than a few businessmen, I was starting to worry that she didn’t make her connecting flight leaving Japan.  I had no wifi to check one way or the other. Thankfully, she walked out at about 12:15 AM, and our Bangkok adventure official began!

            For those of you who have spent time in Bangkok, you know that our first stop had to be the infamous Khao San Road.  We soaked up the night life, and caught up over a liter of Chang while watching the craziness that was unfolding in the street – you can find a little bit of everything in Bangkok… We met some characters, but around 5 AM we were exhausted, so we took our backpacks, left the party scene, and headed to find a place to crash. 
            This trip marked Caroline’s first time in Thailand and my first experience spending time exclusively in Bangkok.  Suffice to say, we both learned a lot.  We adventured on foot, tuk tuk, metro, private boat (we accidentally chartered our own tour boat…seriously), and taxi and after three days reflected that each part of the city we had seen was truly unique from the rest of the city.  

Bangkok is enormous, busy, HOT, and at all hours of the day and night, teeming with activity. 
 
            In just a few short days we had visited the Grand Palace & Wat Phra Kaew, or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, The Pavilion of Regalia, the Golden Buddha of Wat Traimit Wittayaram, seen The Grand Swing, stayed in three hostels, partied on Kao San Road twice, tasted the best Pad Thai ever, accidentally walked through a protest (seriously), drank out of a coconut, ate scorpion and some fried grub in hopes of getting a free night at our hostel, toured the city on the Chao Phraya River, visited a floating market, saw Soi Cowboy (if you don’t know what this is, you’re better off), and smelled more scents that I knew existed. 

            Best of all, we got to catch up with one another.  It was so much fun getting lost with Caroline in Bangkok, and when it was time for Jennifer to arrive on Sunday night, we were both ready to say goodbye to the City of Angels and hit the beaches of southern Thailand!

0 comments:

Post a Comment