6.3.15

Kathleen On The Roof!

6.3.15 Posted by Nikki Carlson , , 1 comment
One of my favorite parts about traveling is meeting new people. The network of likeminded travelers is amazing, enhanced and even allowed at times by social media and the connectivity that constantly surrounds us. But my favorite part of connecting with new people is the random information - conversations, stories, jokes, recommendations, and advice - that is exchanged at such random, yet precise moments. 
"If you don't like me, go shoot yourself" - A friendly message from Putin
This morning over toast that was covered in condensed milk ("Have some, it's Russian!"; the resulting recipe sits on my hips and on the scale between horrifying and straight-up genius) I was asked my surname by the guys who cooked us traditional Russian caviar and smoked fish pancakes last night. (The past 12 hours have been a culinary adventure to say the least...Also, these guys are great!)
Dinner at the hostel
I told them Carlson, and they immediately  started giggling. I learned that Carlson (in the Scandinavian spelling) is one of the most beloved Russian fairy tales for children, Karlsson On the Roof, which was written by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren. 

Selfie in front of the Golden Horn Bridge in Vladivostok
Upon learning more about Karlsson through a quick Google search, I found out that he is described as "a handsome, thoroughly clever, perfectly plump man in his prime" and his motto is "doesn't matter, doesn't matter". He obviously eats condensed milk pancakes for breakfast every day. YOLO!

Caitlin and I also learned that 'Lonely Planet' is a Russian dating site after mentioning that we were going to use it to get around Russia, a probably more appropriately named site than its famous travel advice counterpart. 

Start of the Tran-Siberian Railroad (!!!)
Tonight, Caitlin and I are making a meal to repay our new Russian buddies, and will probably learn many more new fun facts. 

Hostel life
Then, we are packing up our bags and leaving first thing in the morning for the first (and 3 day) leg of our Russian adventure on the Trans-Siberian Railroad. 

Adventuring around Vladivostok
Think: 50-some roommates, two bathrooms, endless shared food, card games, vodka, and a lot of charades. For three days. Without stopping. 

Caitlin and Aleksei
To say I was anything but absolutely thrilled to ring in my 27th birthday in this manner would be a complete lie. I'll weigh in on new lessons and experiences when we get back to wifi in a few days. I'm sure we won't return empty handed. 

Friday market in Vladivostok
So to 'Tomorrow Being Worse' and today being filled with condensed milk - Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I can simply say that you're create a wonderful writing about this topic. Carry on it in future. Personally take my thanks & you can see my blog. Roofing Louisville Ky Louisville Roofing and Remodeling is a very good company in Louisville area. The team led by Mr. Donnie Foray is very efficient to get their job done. I actually wish to recommend you for his or her work.

    ReplyDelete